Writing about nature for children
NCF's column in the School edition of The Hindu newspaper
We entered into an agreement with The Hindu in April 2012 to write a regular column in their In School edition. Since then, over 100 articles have appeared in the Schools edition (in the "Earth Watch") section.
Nature writing, broadly defined!
Our subject is Nature, but each article approaches it in a different way. Some articles are more factual, others take the form of a story, and yet others tend to be more lyrical than the rest!
All articles in this series are available in the "Publications" section below. Click on the article to view a link to the online version; some articles also have downloadable pdfs. Please check back periodically for new articles!
- Popular Article2018Spiders: The weavers and stalkers amongst usiWonder Issue 4, Jan 2018
A piece on spiders for iWonder, an Indian magazine for science middle school teachers. Fun and fascinating facts about spiders to talk and discuss about in the classroom. Lots of activities that teachers can do with students in and outside the class room.
- Popular Article2018Meet the world’s smallest wild catThe Hindu, In school, March 18 2018
A peek into the life of the rusty-spotted cat, an elusive feline found in the forests of India.
- Book2018Off to see spiders!StoryWeaver by Pratham Books
Kaveri and Shivi go looking for spiders, along with their friend Shama. A story for young children commissioned and published by Pratham Books', StoryWeaver platform.
Guest editor: Bijal Vachharajani, Art: Pia Meenakshi
- Book Review2018Not just a waste – Book Review of ‘The Poop book’SAEVUS Magazine. December 2018. Pp 24-25.
Jeganathan, P. (2018). Not just a waste – Book Review of ‘The Poop book’. SAEVUS Magazine. December 2018. Pp 24-25.
- Popular Article2017Birds of a different featherNature inFocus website. 28th June 2017.
On ground nesting birds. Link here.
- Popular Article2017Defenders of the moundThe Hindu in School, 22 March
- Popular Article2017Life of PineThe Hindu in School, 8 March
- Popular Article2016New year on the reefThe Hindu in School, 22 March
- Popular Article2016Shekru sees a blazing issueThe Hindu in School, 13 July
- Popular Article2016The joy of cloudspottingThe Hindu in School, 31 August